ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Stephen Samuel samuel at bcgreen.com
Sat Mar 5 18:50:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Andreas Dilger <adilger at dilger.ca> wrote:

> On 2011-03-04, at 11:07 AM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> > I have several keys from the same brand, model and I have the same issue.
> >
> > When I said, a different key, it was a different brand.
>
> I would typically blame the USB key.  Some cheap vendors use unreliable
> chips, and sometimes even mis-label e.g. 1GB flash as 2GB.
>
> > At the end, it seems that ext2 is working fine!
>
> Except I don't think ext2 is doing this bitmap validation at runtime, like
> ext3/4 is doing.
>
> I'm not sure whether "badblocks" is verifying that the storage is behaving
> correctly (i.e. correct block addressing), or only whether it is able to
> write/read a particular sector on disk.

You could use a more advanced block device verification tool, like llverdev
> from Lustre, which writes a unique test pattern to every block, and then
> reads it back afterward.

Quick test, in the meantime:

badblocks -n -t0xffff /dev/the_thumb_drive

-n is non-destructive.  -w is destructive of data.

then I'd try '-n -trandom -p5'

If you don't mind losing the data (I don't think you do), then use -w,
rather than -n.

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com  Software, like love,
778-861-7641                              grows when you give it away