Using stride on non-RAID

David Shaw dshaw at JABBERWOCKY.COM
Tue Mar 15 22:42:35 UTC 2011

Hello,

I understand the need for a proper stride setting when formatting a filesystem on a RAID device.  However, is there any problem in using a stride setting when formatting a filesystem on a regular non-RAID, non-SSD, just plain-vanilla-single-disk block device?  I'm sure there isn't any benefit to it, but I'm curious if there is any harm.

The reason I ask is I'm looking at some code here that can be used on either RAID or non-RAID devices.  The stride setting it has is correct for the particular RAID setup it is intended for, but it also uses those settings when formatting a non-RAID device.

David