ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 18:13:45 UTC 2011

On 3/4/11 12:07 PM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> :) I'm not removing the key during the test.
>
> Yes "umount/mount/rm", "umount/fsck/mount/rm" and "rm" give the same error...
>
> I have several keys from the same brand, model and I have the same issue.
>
> When I said, a different key, it was a different brand.
>
> At the end, it seems that ext2 is working fine!

It may well have different IO patterns.

> So maybe a problem in ext3 in 2.6.23 kernel ?!?
> I had a try on 2.6.32_27, I did not succeed to reproduce the issue.
>
> Do you know when ext3 is supposed to be stable ?

heh, 2.4.x or so.

You could bisect kernel versions and see if you can arrive at a change
that fixed it.

I'd also find some tools to do more extensive IO testing on your usb
key, I still think it might be a hardware problem since only some
brand/models are affected.

-Eric