Write ordering in Ext4

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 17:33:25 UTC 2013

On 6/4/13 12:17 PM, Arul Selvan wrote:
> thanks that answered my question. One more question, is it possible to stop the delayed block allocation in ext4 ?

If you mean turn off delayed allocation, look no further than the mount
options documented in the kernel tree, Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt:

nodelalloc              Disable delayed allocation.  Blocks are allocated
                        when the data is copied from userspace to the
                        page cache, either via the write(2) system call
                        or when an mmap'ed page which was previously
                        unallocated is written for the first time.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off delalloc?

-Eric