filesystem

I hope this is the right list. I have created an ext2 filesystem and removed the dir_index feature. I don't know if this kind of experimentation is going to help me learn something about filesystems or not. Well what is dir_index? Then I ran e2fsck -f -v -pD and the /dev file. Now what did I remove? Htree. I guess it can always be put back and it's on an experimental filesystem.

What features separate ext4 from ext3 ? I have noticed too that ext2 fragments quite a bit.

Bill