Very long delay for first write to big filesystem

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 02:07:54 UTC 2014

Thx Andreas.

re: block bitmaps - yes that is what I really meant. My experience with
filesystems is mainly from CPM/BDOS, where "directory" and block mapping
are essentially synonymous.

And now I understand about the timing. Makes sense when you describe it
that way.

My system is ext4, although I doubt that I used "flex_bg" option, since
this was first created awhile back. I did try to run e4defrag. It simply
said that no defrag was needed.

So, now I'm only left in  need of a work-around. Perhaps a way to have the
system load the bitmaps at boot time in the background? It would need to be
done in such a way that it would not block any other access to that system.
Or, is there a better filesystem format that would not have this problem?
(Not a really great solution, since I would need to somehow/somewhere
backup my 7.5TB system first.)

It does seem strange that this hasn't become a more serious issue, as
typical filesystems are getting bigger now. And I can't imagine a really
large network server (10TB+) having to deal with this.

Again, thx for the response.

ken