Recommended minimal amount of free space to keep?

Ivan Baldo ibaldo at adinet.com.uy
Fri Jun 6 23:57:09 UTC 2014

     Hello.
     So, LVM is cool, having different partitions for different stuff is
cool, and of course Ext4 is cool and *reliable*.
     So, we create some logical partitions and put ext4 on them,
reserving LVM space for growing those partitions or even making new ones
later.
     The thing is, I would like to keep every filesystem as small as it
can be, but without degrading the performance too much.
     I guess that having a filesystem 99% full will create too much
fragmentation and many other issues, but having them only 30% full seems
like a waste.
     Currently I try to keep them at 70% full utilization but I have not
based that on anything just guess.
     So, what % hysteresis do you recommend? For example, when they get
70% full then grow them so that they get 50% full? Other values?
     Thanks for the hints!
     Good day everyone.

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo at adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/