Possible bug in mkfs.ext3

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 18:38:18 UTC 2014

The -S was advised by a member of the Fedora Users Mailing List,
and I thought I would try it.
I still have the original disk, so no permanent harm.
I keep trying what is suggested on a copy of the partition.

Only drag is the copying :)
It is a 400GiB partition (400 * 1024^3).

I am currently scanning the parition for a superblock, starting at -b 0,
and keep incrementing by 512, until I find what"might be" a superblock;
i.e. fsck does not say "Bad magic number". Of course, that's no guarantee
it is a superblock, but it gives me an opportunity to examine the superblock
at that offset.

Regards,

JD