Re: Possible bug in mkfs.ext3

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 06:01:35PM -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> Update:
> Since I had believed, and it has been mentioned, that there is a possibility
> that the partition
> table itself may have been clobbered in a way to change the real starting
> address of the partition,
> I decided to search for possible candidates for a superblock using fsck in a
> shell script as follows....

Um.... if the starting location of the partition is wrong, you do
***not**** want to run fsck until fix the partition boundaries.  Using
fsck -b <superblock number" when the partition boundaries are wrong
will ****not***** work.

Try using a tool like gpart to determine the partition boundaries, and
fix the partition boundaries *first*.

						- Ted