[fab] Re: Kadischi : Legal issues

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Apr 18 16:14:19 UTC 2006

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> If you build:
>   * A Live CD with entirely Fedora (Core+Extras) content;
>   * A distribution with entirely Fedora (Core+Extras) content;
>
> ...then you should be entitled to use the Fedora name "somehow" to
> represent that content.
>
> The "somehow" is not a legal exercise.  It's a BRANDING exercise.  We need
> to figure that out, propose it to Mark, and get legal's blessing.

+1  (I'll see if I can whip up something more concrete...)

> We need to answer some hypothetical questions, like for instance:
> Rex puts together a Whole New Distro, built entirely of Fedora
> (Core+Extras components), that has just KDE and no GNOME.
>
>   a. Does he call it:
>     + Fedora KDE?
>     + RexKDE, based on Fedora?
>     + KDExcellent, a Fedora distribution?

All good suggestions.  :)

>   b. Does he need our approval, or is that approval implied
>      by the fact that it's all Fedora components?

I'd say implied, if we go with your (IMO good) suggestion that
LiveCDs/distributions derived from entirely Fedora content be entitled
to use the Fedora name.

On the other hand, what about folks who include non-Fedora components?
  Should they be able to say something like "based on... Fedora" too?
I'm guessing, no, unfortunately.   I'd hate to have to forbid this kind
of thing outright, so what allowance(s) can be made for situations like
this?

-- Rex