[fab] Re: fedoranews.org

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 22:12:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 10:47 -0700, Thomas Chung wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> > Well, I'd like to ask what purpose we are up to with fedoranews.org.
> > What does it do what we can't do at fedoraproject.org? Is it outside of
> > the scope from the legal rules of the Fedora Project?
> >
> > <disclaimer: personal feelings involved>
> >
> > BTW, the reason why I dislike fedoranews.org are articles like this:
> > http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Installing_NVIDIA_drivers_manually_on_FC4
> >
> > (that's a improved version -- the first one was even worse). There are a
> > lot better ways to install the drivers that are more clean. See
> >
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/3rdPartyVideoDrivers
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg01178.html
> >
> > Also it encourages people sometimes to enable repos that are not
> > compatible with Core and Extras.
> >
> > </personal feelings involved>
> >
> > CU
> > thl
> > --
> > Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>
>
> Wow. What did I miss here? I just saw this email with subject "fedoranews.org"
>
> It sounds like someone doesn't like the site just because a few
> contributors wrote some articles in the past and not happy about.
>
> Please note, this is a community website much like community forum
> such as fedoraforum.org where people can write *whatever* they like
> and yes, sometimes I let them write an article about *forbidden* item
> by Fedora Project.
>
> Again, this is the *past* and now that Fedora Project is considering
> "blessing" our site officially, there will be some changes.  For one
> thing, there will be more "moderations" before the artlces get
> published. In other words, a  Review Process will be used among
> moderators before we publish.
>
> However, the site will remain the status of "Community" site where any
> community member can write just about anything they want if they feel
> it will benefit the community.
>
> If you are concerned about the content of our site, I invite you to
> become a moderator and help me to maintain a quality site for Fedora
> Community.

We should also note that people on the planet aggregator can pretty much
write what they please as well.  The fact that Thomas is setting up an
editorial board is a good thing, and it will hopefully increase the
quality of the articles in general.  Personally, I'd also love to see a
news site free of encumbered software cruft, but that to me is an
editorial question.  As long as the availability of this information is
not a legal problem, it's an issue for the community.

As with any news site, I'm pretty sure at fn.o people are free to
comment, trackback, etc. (in addition to blogging -- planet anyone?)
with suggestions, issues, or complaints.  I suspect there will end up
being some debate through those channels, and I hope it's conducted in a
respectful and reasonable manner.  I suspect the reaction of the
community will determine what tack is adopted by the fn.o editorial
board.