[fab] project hosting?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 21:08:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 11:10 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 11:00 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
>
> > The realistic decision that must be made is: what's the likely timeframe
> > for getting Savannah deployed and useful for the Fedora community?  Is
> > that time/cost worth it, or are we better off using one of the other
> > options in which a lot of the infrastructure is done for us, but the
> > backend isn't entirely open.
> >
> > "Fedora Infrastructure" has a huge amount of stuff swirling around it, and
> > listening to Elliot talk, not nearly enough people who are able to work on
> > all of it.
>
> a lot of it is an issue of being able to commit to it. None of the items
> are a release and walk away sort of thing and EVERYONE is busy. It's
> rare to find someone who is experienced enough with opensource and/or
> development infrastructure who doesn't already have all of their time
> tasked out.
>
> It's not like having more people will help. No one wants to bite off a
> project that they'll have around their necks forever.

FWIW, I'll fully withdraw my proposal to use devnation.redhat.com,
despite obvious tie-ins with other work at Red Hat and with the same
pool of developers.  However ...

Right now what choice to Fedora contributors have?  Nothing more than
begging on mailing lists or knowing the right people.

It's like using people.redhat.com for a yum repo for custom packages.
Talk about a high barrier to entry. "1. Get hired by Red Hat ..."

So, if we can wait until we can get up our own solution, cool.

If not ... people are already hosting projects on SF.net because they
have nowhere else to go.  I am offering that alternative in
devnation.redhat.com, not even as a primary mission but as a
side-effect, and to avoid that bleed-off.  I'd _love_ to see
devnation.fedoraproject.org running 100% FLOSS.  What is the right first
steps to get there?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/