[fab] Fedora as Free Software?

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Apr 21 23:34:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 17:06, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what you guys think about changing the tilt of Fedora from
> open source to free software.  Namely, saying that the license should
> meet the free software definition (
>  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html ) and then mentioning that
> OSI-certified licenses (with the exception of the Reciprocal Public
> License, which we're going to reevaluate) are a good list, as well as
> the free software licenses that are listed on the FSF website.
>
> The goal is to make Fedora a distribution that the FSF can positively
> endorse.  I think we're really close.  Any reason to not try to go all
> the way?

Our mission is, and always has been, free AND open source software.  This is
in the definitions of both our project and our platform.  We already meet the
terms of the Free Software Definition, and I certainly wouldn't have any
objections to adding such a statement to the guidelines.  I feel that our
current guidelines already assure our compliance, but it wouldn't hurt to
make an explicit declaration.  Either way, we will certainly not back down
our stance for open source software in any way.  I realize that the Free
Software Definition requires software to be open source, but we like our
dedication to open source to be explicit, too.  ;-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/