[fab] Proposed Plan for Split of Fedora-Announce-List

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 16:08:11 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 11:53 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> It's not a particularly ballsy decision.  It just needs to get made.  :)
>>

> I guess I'm missing what the big controversy is.
>
> We'd be best off producing messages in such a way and using such
> technology that we can easily convert them into N different formats. Or
> better yet, that someone else can for themselves.

1) Split fedora-announce-list
fedora-package-announce.  So you could ask for only Fedora 5 (including
FC5, FE5 and FL5).

This package announce list only temporarily will be the only solution.
When the next objective is achieved, then people will have other options
to view the same information.

3) Make package announcements backed by a database
We should have all of this information stored in a database.  Generated
from this database are a number of both push & pull representations like:
- Package update and security advisory list announcements
- RSS feeds
- Canonical package update website (links from RSS feed point here)
- Metadata for pirut and pup

http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/fedora-updates.png
Luke Macken's previous work on the Fedora Update tracking system that we
currently use only internally give us a head start in these goals.  It
would be fairly easy to build upon this existing foundation, but only
after we achieve a few other objectives.  (Putting the Fedora Updates
system in the public requires some design considerations for proper
handling of Embargo and possibly other aspects related to the Fedora
distribution merge.)

Thoughts?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com