[fab] I have a few questions for the board.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Apr 25 17:31:33 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 25.04.2006, 11:47 -0400 schrieb Jeremy Katz:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 14:14 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> And for the  real ten million dollar question -- what's the difference
> between a project/PMC and a SIG?

Good question :)

IMHO it should work like this (or maybe: IMHO we should have something
like the following -- if we name it "SIG" might be a different
discussion):

Extras, Legacy, Ambassadors, Docs, Core (?) and other "big"
projects/PMC's to be started in the future are the "main" Fedora
projects. When there is a large sub-area of work (to give the example of
Extras: People that watch security lists and file bugs for open issues,
people that take care of QA, people that are interested in reviewing and
maintaining games or perl-stuff) then it can be handled by a special
interest group (SIG) that should consist of at least three (five?)
people. That SIG should have a leader and maybe a small (two or three
people) "Board". The leader and/or the board report to the lead of the
project/PMC (e.g. in the Extras case to FESCo).

[...]
> The third set are SIGs.  These are things which are probably somewhat
> incubatory.  Some of them will grow over time to be be full-fledged PMC
> type things (eg, I can see the Extras Games stuff ending up doing so),

Well, the "Extras Games stuff" IMHO still should remain as a sub-project
of Extras that reports to FESCo normally.

Just my 2 cent that look at it from the Extras perspective.

CU
thl