[fab] fedora slashdot interview

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 3 00:18:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 03:22 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
> >>>
> >> It should not but it clearly does now. What we do later to nullify the
> >> differences doesnt change the current status of these repositories. Red
> >> Hat spend all the effort in creating a tool which has very low amount of
> >> visibility due to decision to provide it in Fedora Extras which is what
> >> I was pointing out.
> >
> > That same decision, however, shows that Red Hat _is_ intending for
> > Fedora to be a community driven distro.  It has other benefit IMHO.
> >

> Disagree. Sabayon is part of GNOME which is the default desktop
> environment for Fedora Core and is very useful software. Red Hat
> developing it is just a additional factor.

And it is no less useful in Extras.  The differentiation between Core
and Extras along the lines of quality and usefulness needs to stop.  It
promotes the ideals that Extras is somehow second class and it is most
certainly not.

Yes, Red Hat spent effort creating the tools.  That is great.  They
spend effort doing lots of things that benefit Fedora as a whole.  That
does not mean that those tools need to automatically be in Core.  Core
is not about "free advertising" for Red Hat efforts on particular
packages.

The slashdot interview, however, most certainly can be.

josh