[fab] New project formation is out of control

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Aug 8 16:52:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 11:38 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> > Here's the simplest possible guidelines I can imagine -- and the simplest
> > possible guidelines are almost always the best.  :)
> >
> > 1. Community members are allowed to create Fedora SIGs.  Create them,
> > announce them, rally support around them.  Do whatever you like.
> >
> > 2. Fedora Projects may *only* be announced by the Fedora Board.
> >
> > 3. State this policy on fedora-announce-list, and make it prominent on the
> > wiki.
> >
> > 4. Anyone who violates this simple policy will be corrected as quickly as
> > possible, and asked to go back to everywhere they announced it and
> > announce the corrected truth: "oops, I created a SIG, not a project.
> > Sorry."
> >
> > Simplicty and consistency.  That's what makes rules stick.
>
> Amen brother, +infinity

Yeah, simple.  But it'll look funny if it ever plays out to it's full
extent.

    contributor: "Announcing the Fedora foo Project!" x <# of announces>

    FB: "Erm, no.  You need to go correct yourself and say it's a SIG"

    contributor: "Sorry, it's really the Fedora foo SIG!" x <announces>

    <time passes and the SIG works well>

    FB: "Announcing the Fedora foo Project!"

    everyone else: "WTH?"

Maybe not bad, but still looks funny.

josh