[fab] New project formation is out of control

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 17:22:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Yeah, simple.  But it'll look funny if it ever plays out to it's full
> extent.
>
>     contributor: "Announcing the Fedora foo Project!" x <# of announces>
>
>     FB: "Erm, no.  You need to go correct yourself and say it's a SIG"
>
>     contributor: "Sorry, it's really the Fedora foo SIG!" x <announces>
>
>     <time passes and the SIG works well>
>
>     FB: "Announcing the Fedora foo Project!"
>
>     everyone else: "WTH?"
>
> Maybe not bad, but still looks funny.

THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK!  :)

That's how it works everywhere else.  That's how it works in Apache --
first you incubate, then you become blessed.

And when FB announces the official Fedora Foo Project, they get the
opportunity to trumpet the tremendous success of a grassroots project, and
the subsequent elevation of that humble Foo SIG to the nirvana of Official
Project Status.

These are the winning scenarios we're looking to create.

--g