[fab] dropping helix player from fc6

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 9 12:50:47 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 01:06, Rahul wrote:
>> We should have announced that we are dropping it and give room for
>> extras packagers to pick it up if they need it as a dependency of their
>> own packages.  Amarok in this case is depending on the Helix media
>> framework to play open formats. There seems to be a (broken) gstreamer
>> backend as a option too so thats a good choice when we fix things up.
>
> We did.  Granted it was on the day that we removed it, but we were shooting
> for the Test2 deadline and were timecrunched.

What's the rush? We could have easily dropped this package after the
test 2 release and done it in a more smoother fashion. Our priority
should be making sure we arent breaking packages in *both* core and
extras when we move packages from one repository to another. It would
have been pretty easily to make the decision, announce it in
fedora-maintainers list and wait for a time period before dropping such
packages. Again a similar process for packages that are being moved over
into Fedora Core from extras. We have been consistently poor about doing
  this.

Rahul