[fab] Fedora Logo Proposal

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 17:01:34 UTC 2006

Sorry, forgot to send this, but it is more about the next steps (AUP)
than the proposal (which I like).

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 18:25 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

[snip goodness++]

> LOGO USE AND SOFTWARE REDISTRIUBTION.  The logo may be used by:
>   * Anyone who redistributes Fedora Core as-is.  No permission required.
>   * Anyone who redistributes any functionally complete subset of packages
> from the Fedora Universe -- also known as an "official Fedora derivative".
> No permission required.
>   * People who are redistributing something based on Fedora, but who are
> NOT following the above redistribution guidelines, may NOT use the Fedora
> logo.  If they choose to use the text "based on Fedora," we won't stop
> them.
>
> LOGO USE FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES.  The logo may be used by:
>   * WEBSITE USE.  Anyone who is using Fedora or its official Fedora
> derivatives may advertise this fact using the Fedora logo.
>   * SCHWAG.  Only members of the Fedora Ambassadors project may put the
> Fedora logo on physical promotional items.
>
> MISCELLANEOUS USES.  If a user wishes to use the logo for a reason not
> enumerated, users may appeal directly to "logo at fedoraproject.org" for
> special dispensation to use the Fedora logo.

Do we want to call out the Fedora community websites, such as
fedoraunity.org?  A project like that starting today, where do they end
up in the decision tree?  Those sites use a logo in prominent positions.

So, in the AUP, we put something about prominence.  Prohibited would be
the use of the logo in a prominent position that might constitute
promotion, on a Website or in a printed form, without express permission
via logos at .  Prominent positions are:

* favicon.ico
* Headers of a page
* Larger or largest logo in a set
* etc.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project