[fab] Re: "community maintainers working on core" dilemma

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 19:17:48 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> And to be fair, for this particular issue the build failure was on s390(x).  I
> don't think many of our community members has one of these to test with.  The
> solution for FC5 updates was to disable building on the non-shipped arches.
> Unfortunately we can't do that for rawhide / FC6 right now as those builds
> feed RHEL and RHEL has to ship on those platforms.

It's interesting that you bring this up.  When it comes to arches, I
think that we could enable some different approaches.  For example, we
gate on architectures right now.  That is, if one of them doesn't build
that code doesn't get out the gate.

Now, this might be good for making sure that things always build and
work on different architectures, but it also means that we end up
spending a huge amount of time on a very small part of our market share
and user base.  I think that for people like sparc, arm, ia64 and s390
that they should be followers.  That is, if those architectures work
they work and if they don't then the people who maintain them have to
make the changes.

But if we had a system that made it possible for anyone to generate a
build on any architecture, wouldn't it make it easier to enable those
extra arches without actually holding our entire tree hostage?  Plus, we
can actually parallelize the effort to fix architecture bustage.

--Chris