[fab] Re: "community maintainers working on core" dilemma

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 19:22:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 14:50 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Yeah, this means stepping outside of the usual bugzilla and rpm
> mindsets.  But we could be doing so much better.

I've got this email on my desktop I've been writing for a few weeks.  It
goes to fedora-infrastructure-list and it's a proposal to work up a
"Fedora smithy".

Now, my first thoughts were to drag together existing pieces, apply
appropriate glue, and voila! ... something no better than what anyone
else has, but at least 100% free and invented here.  But your points
here inspire me.

O!  The chance to do something truly groundbreaking in open source
project lifecycle workflow!  Something that, as you say, connects
developers, testers, and users directly.  Something more than SCM +
mailing lists + scratch space + caffeine.

For this Fall, we are working on a FUDCon with a technical, hackfest
focus, perhaps with BarCamp-style presentations.  I would like to add
something to that event -- a design thinking session to cook up the next
generation FLOSS lifecycle tool.  Something total greenfield.  Dare I
even say, Fiddler's Green[1] quality?

- Karsten
[1] Like an afterlife utopia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler's_Green
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project