[fab] slashdot question -- driver support

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 10 02:59:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 17:12 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:48:25PM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> > another fun one for any of your thoughts.  My guess is that most of the
> > answer to this question is a philosophic one about proprietary vendors
> > versus open source drivers, but I wanted to throw it out there.
> >
> > -----------
> >
> > 2) Drivers Vs Linux
> > (Score:5, Interesting)
> > by eldavojohn
> >
> > A lot of people I talk to say they don't like Linux due to lack of driver
> > support. Is there anyway you see this problem being eliminated? How do you
> > court vendors to support their hardware on your flavor of Linux?
>

> Insert link to gregkh's OLS keynote slide deck where he addresses this
> directly and claims *more* hardware is supported by Linux
> out-of-the-box than any other OS  - ever.

People could care less about all the random one-off hardware that either
A) they can't purchase because it's no longer produced, or B) isn't
something that is even practical to own for most users.  So it's not a
sheer numbers game.

IMHO, this question is pretty squarely targeted toward things like
graphics drivers (ATI, NVIDIA) and wireless chipsets.  Simply inserting
a link to gregkh's keynote will only bring typical slashdot flamage (no
offense to gregkh intended).

josh