[fab] slashdot question -- driver support

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 10 03:15:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 22:11 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 23:08 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO, this question is pretty squarely targeted toward things like
> > > graphics drivers (ATI, NVIDIA) and wireless chipsets.  Simply inserting
> > > a link to gregkh's keynote will only bring typical slashdot flamage (no
> > > offense to gregkh intended).
> >
> > I agree, we need to *answer* the question -- though it's possible that
> > there's stuff in the keynote that can be used in the answer.
>
> True.  Like "Closed source Linux kernel modules are illegal."  Though
> that is also slippery ground :)

I meant to add that one of the best answers that I have heard is to tell
vendors what you want by using the one thing they really care about:
your money.

Buy hardware that _has_ open source drivers.  Just today Intel released
open source drivers for their new video chipset.  They've done the same
in the past for some of their wireless cards.  I personally bought an
Intel wireless card to replace the brand new, perfectly functioning one
that came in my new laptop simply because of this.

josh

btw, does anyone want to buy a brand new, perfectly functioning wireless
card for a laptop? ;)