[fab] [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 16 20:53:03 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Offhand, I'd say -1, status-quo is sufficient.  My mind isn't set in
> stone though... I'm just not yet convinced that there would be
> sufficient tangible benefit to outweigh the (possible) loss of
> non-FSF-compliant bits.

That is a question that we need to look at and finding out exactly which
bits we would lose by running down this path which is why I am
suggesting that we run this analysis on the Fedora Extras packages too.

Status quo as a open source distribution is not a unique differentiator
anymore. Everybody has a Fedora-esque distribution these days -
OpenSUSE, OpenSolaris, Freespire...

Then there is stuff like Debian non-free which is not "officially"
Debian, Ubuntu we are Free software except while including non-free
drivers and so on.

Fedora's commitment to Free software is a strong point and we might
consider pushing this just a bit more and leap ahead of the pack.

Rahul