[fab] Kernel Module packages in Core and Extras

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Sun Aug 20 10:43:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:25:39 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Let's say the current kernel is kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5. kmod-foo and
> kmod-bar are in the repo for that kernel. kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 get
> pushed out. kmod-foo build fine for the new kernel and gets pushed to
> the repo. But some API changes in the 2.6.17 kernel break kmod-bar. The
> upstream maintainer of bar is lazy and says "it'll take some time until
> it'll get fixed." So people depending on kmod-bar will stick to the old
> kernel. Now lets further assume kernel-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 get pushed some
> days later and contains an important security fix that's remotely
> exploitable in 2.6.16 and 2.6.17. The users of kmod-bar are in trouble now.

IIUC, we have to choose between to evils:
 - users left out in the cold because the kmod they use is not updated
   on a timely basis
 - users left out in the cold because we refuse to accept any kmod

Doesn't sound like a fun choice.

I'm pretty sure such a choice could happen with other pieces of
software, though:
 - web browsers and their plugins
 - mail/news readers and their plugins
 - probably other large pieces of software and related add-ons

Do we want a special repo marked "DANGER, caveat emptor" in big red
letters ?

					Christian