[fab] Re: openmotif

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 29 17:18:23 UTC 2006

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 12:53 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 12:41, Rahul wrote:
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2006-August/msg00081.htm
>> This mail has absolutely no info regarding why a package would be acceptable
>> for Extras when it isn't acceptable for Core.  This disturbs me greatly.  If
>> the license isn't good enough for core, it shouldn't be in Extras either.
>
> +1
>
> Extras is not a dumping ground for packages that aren't suitable for
> Core.  If someone wants to push a package from Core -> Extras, it still
> goes through a review.  Openmotif will fail that review immediately,
> given that it's license is not OSI compatible.
>
> josh

We *already* have many packages both in Fedora Core and Fedora Extras
that dont meet the guidelines. If we are going to clean it up, we can do
so in a better manner than just dumping out packages.

The only reason that I am suggesting we move these packages into Fedora
Extras as a *intermediate* step and as a exception to the guidelines is
that community contributors are interested
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2006-August/msg00078.html)
in helping out and we cant do that easily by keeping them in Fedora
Core.   The other option is to dump out openmotif and all its
dependencies now since none of them in their current state meet the
guidelines.

Peace?

Rahul