[fab] Re: openmotif

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 30 12:39:19 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 08:21, Rahul wrote:
>> The only reason for openmotif not being dropped immediately is not break
>> applications and since we agreed to move openmotif dependencies to
>> Fedora Extras, I am arguing that we move openmotif too over till we fix
>> everything to work with lesstif.  Everyone knows that openmotif needs to
>> be dropped long term.  No hypocrisy there.
>
> But what is the POINT?  We aren't going to be touching openmotif at all, only
> dropping it, so moving it to Extras makes NO SENSE.  Moving the things that
> depend on it over so that they can be made to work with lesstif makes some
> sense, for those things that we no longer need in core, but moving openmotif
> just to move it is silly.  If we're going to touch openmotif, we're going to
> remove it.  period.  There is ZERO gain to importing it into Extras.  ZERO.

I am repeating myself here but the point is that we never had libraries
in Fedora Core without applications dependent on them and since we are
moving the dependencies  I dont see any reason for openmotif to be a
exception and stay in Fedora Core.  Again the alternative is to drop
openmotif and all its dependencies in both Fedora Core and Fedora Extras
immediately and fix applications to work with lesstif and import them
back again. Think of it and make a decision either way.

Rahul