[fab] Re: openmotif

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 30 13:50:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 09:39, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> As for the applications that depend on motif, I say we do the following:
> >>
> >> 1) Announce that openmotif will be dropped in X days, weeks.
> >> 2) Provide information o lesstif as the alternative.
> >> 3) Maintainers of packages that have motif dependencies have the same X
> >> days, or weeks to fix their applications to work with lesstif
> >> 4) Drop openmotif after the time period has elapsed
> >> 5) Deal with any unfixed packages at that time.
> >
> > I like this plan a lot.  It sets deadlines and expectations properly.
> > openmotif just needs to go away.
> >
> > So who can make said announcement?
>
> I can be play the bad-cop here.  Question is, how long of a deadline for
> step 1?  Is 2 weeks enough?

This is exactly my proposal.

Test3 freeze is on the 5th of Sept, and that's a little too soon.  While I
don't like "shipping" yet another "release" with openmotif, I think its
unreasonable to expect these things to be fixed by Tuesday.  October 2nd is
the final development freeze, and that seems like a good cutoff point to me.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora