[fab] [Fwd: Re: kernel modules in fedora (was: 10 open source start-ups to watch)]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 17:45:16 UTC 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: kernel modules in fedora (was: 10 open source start-ups to
watch)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:43:32 -0400

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 13:30 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:

> Asterisk and CCRMA are two examples of innovative code that should be
> part of Fedora.  It's up to us to figure out how we can make that
> happen
> from the engineering perspective, but we *need* to make it happen.

No, WE don't.  We need to enable THEM to be able to do it.  We want
variants of Fedora made right?  Fedora is your free base from which to
build wonderful and great things (like RHEL).  So you want CCRMA type
stuff, great!  Spin a release with CCRMA modules and whatever other
software you need.  Call it Based on Fedora or whatever.  Don't pollute
the Free base with hacky things like kernel modules.  Make it easier for
folks to take the free Fedora base and run with it, making their own
wonderful variants for their wonderful needs.  The things that make
sense to pull into the base, do it!  The things that don't, well, don't!

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora