[fab] Re: kernel modules in fedora

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 17:50:15 UTC 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:48:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com>
To: Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
Cc: memo-list at redhat.com

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:

> No, WE don't.  We need to enable THEM to be able to do it.  We want
> variants of Fedora made right?  Fedora is your free base from which to
> build wonderful and great things (like RHEL).  So you want CCRMA type
> stuff, great!  Spin a release with CCRMA modules and whatever other
> software you need.  Call it Based on Fedora or whatever.  Don't pollute
> the Free base with hacky things like kernel modules.  Make it easier for
> folks to take the free Fedora base and run with it, making their own
> wonderful variants for their wonderful needs.  The things that make
> sense to pull into the base, do it!  The things that don't, well, don't!

Fair enough, Jesse.  Let me rephrase -- whatever else we do or don't do,
we need to enable people to do cool stuff with Fedora, not be an
impediment to them doing it.

Insert all the "as long as it's FOSS, etc." stuff here.

I think there needs to be a place for kernel modules somewhere in the
"Fedora Universe", that's all I'm saying.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack