[fab] Re: openmotif

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 31 07:01:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 04:56:53PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 23:45 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
> > Once again I think it would be better to deprecate openmotif but drop it
> > only at FC7...
>
> The only way I think this is going to happen is if the license on
> openmotif is changed to something that is OSI or FSF compliant.

The licence issue is allready solved by migrating to lesstif, it allready
shows the commitment to have only OSI approved licences. Waiting one more
release won't hurt, openmotif has been here for many releases. Keeping
it for that release could help the transition, so why not keep it?
It should be announced in the release notes and wherever possible that it
will disappear soon of course.

Finding the correct behaviour when a runtime bug is discovered will be
much helped if it is possible to test against openmotif. Moreover it will
let more time to find a suitable house for openmotif.

--
Pat