[fab] Re: openmotif

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 31 08:41:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 08:56 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 06:57:07AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > OK, here's how we can do this:
> > >
> > > 1. Lesstif is approved.
BTW: WHO approved this package and HOW did this package become approved?

This lesstif package violates rule #1 of FE: "FE packages must not
replace FC package". IMO, some dark channels must have been activated to
get this package approved.

>  It needs to incorporate my fixes (see BZ 203274)
> > > and be rebuilt.
> > Has the package made installable in parallel to OpenMotif?
>
> The packages containing the libs are parallel installable. The -devel
> packages conflicts. lesstif has more subpackages than openmotif,
> so the lesstif subpackages (containing the programs) conflict against
> the openmotif package which contains programs and libs.
In one sentence you tell the "apps and run-time libs" conflict, in the
other sentense you tell "the devel packages conflict". I fail to see the
sense in this.

I am demanding: the devel package MUST be installable in parallel.

> > > 5. ddd and xpdf need to be moved to Fedora Extras,
> > Bummer, FC dropping the primary GUI-debugger - MASSIVE REGRESSION.
>
> It should be shortly in FE, that's not a real issue.
So you are going to maintain it?  - Good night ddd, good night Fedora.

> > > (all maintainers CC'd) need to change their BR from openmotif-devel to
> > > lesstif-devel. I tested all of these apps and they work correctly
> > > against lesstif.
> > Are you serious about this?
> >
> > Motif is a GUI-toolkit and you can't have tested all apps's
> > functionality.
>
> Indeed. Maybe Spot wanted to say that they can be built against lesstif.
I presume as much - I.e. his tests aren't worth much.

> Some of these apps are known to work with lesstif, though (nedit, ddd, xpdf,
> grace and cernlib at least).
Which also doesn't mean much.

Ralf

Once again: This fundamentalic religious zealotry is harmful to Fedora -
You guys are degrading Fedora from a once usable distro into an RPM
based Debian.