[fab] New project formation is out of control

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 18:13:04 UTC 2006

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> I think the *real* fear is that we'll end up with a bunch of abandoned
> projects.  This is fair, but personally, I don't see it as a bad thing, so
> long as there's a good way for potential contributors to tell the
> difference between "lively" and "dead" projects.  We can also figure out
> how to reap dead projects so often.
>
> Every project, from the moment it's conceived in someone's mind, is
> incubating.  We should do everything in our power to support every single
> one of these harebrained ideas.

[ Sorry, a bit behind here. ]

I have to say that I'm not sure that I'm that worried about what Patrick
laid out in his original mail.  Let's enable people to fail early and
often.  The more ideas and people the better.  And we don't want to shut
people or ideas down unless they are downright evil or trading in our
our good name (our single asset) on something that's clearly wrong.

But greg does make a great point here.  Culling ideas of projects that
have failed is something we have to do on a regular basis.

--Chris