[fab] Project Hosting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sun May 7 22:29:42 UTC 2006

> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 16:30 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > I bugged Seth about this a little on IRC, but I thought I would take it
> > to a bit wider audience.  The basic discussion that we had was that the
> > current /cvs/fedora isn't really sufficient for new projects, and CVS
> > isn't going to cut it forever.  (Seth can smack me down if I'm wrong on
> > the summary.)
> >
> > So the question becomes, what is?
>

> The earlier thread on the topic has many details
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-
> April/msg00092.html

Excellent.  I've read most of it, let me try and post a summary here:

The current options are:

1) Savannah
2) Sourceforge
3) GForge
4) Roll-your-own

1, 2, and 3 all offer pretty much the same things in various flavors.
CVS/SVN, mailing lists, "trackers", etc.  I happen to have used them all
too.  The largest issue here is whether to just use the existing sf.net/
savannah.{non-}gnu.org/gforge.org sites, or to do installations of them
ourselves.

I know a coupl people that have done administration for large
Sourceforge and GForge installations.  I'll ask around and get their
opinions on some of the issues in dealing with them.

Roll-your-own has obvious startup/development overhead in addition to
some of the admin issues that the others bring.

Is that a sufficient summary, or have I missed something?

> > Developer Nation was mentioned.  I read Karsten's blog on it and thought
> > it sounded cool, though I still have no idea what it really is.  I
> > realize it's not quite ready yet, so perhaps that is natural.
>
> Details on Dev nation - https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-
> board/2006-April/msg00186.html

I still have no idea what it's supposed to be.  I'm pretty dense
sometimes though, so I'll ignore it for now.

josh