[fab] Project Hosting

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon May 8 14:55:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 10:44 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Yeah, it's also the wrong conversation to have at this point.  Need to
> figure out 1. what you want to host and 2. what the social structures
> might look like around that.  Those two items will drive your choice of
> SCM and hosting technology.  i.e. Want something with centralized
> development and avoid forks?  Use SVN/CVS.  Want something that allows
> for local forks and encourages local (non-central) hacks?  Use GIT/hg.

I think what we're looking for is something that allows:

1. easy creation of new projects for people with fedora-related ideas
2. easy adding/handling of users and groups so the fedora-admin list
doesn't need to be involved if someone wants to give access to another
fedora contributor
3. probably something that allows a bit of divergence and eases merging
back - one of the reasons I'm interested in git/hg.

-sv