[fab] Project Hosting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon May 8 15:27:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:44:54AM -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Yeah, it's also the wrong conversation to have at this point.  Need to
> figure out 1. what you want to host and 2. what the social structures
> might look like around that.  Those two items will drive your choice of
> SCM and hosting technology.  i.e. Want something with centralized
> development and avoid forks?  Use SVN/CVS.  Want something that allows
> for local forks and encourages local (non-central) hacks?  Use GIT/hg.

The problem I see is that 2 is going to vary largely across the various
projects.  So you're looking at allowing SVN/CVS or GIT/hg choices.  None
of the options do that so far.

As for what you want to host, I think you'd want to look at that on a per
project basis.  Some kind of evaluation by a group to see if it should
really be hosted in this Grand New Place.  Seth mentioned things like plague
and mock, which seem to fit nicely.  Things that have value to Fedora.

That was probably already mentioned, but it's worth saying again.  I don't
think we want to go off and duplicate what sf.net does.

josh