[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon May 8 20:12:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 15:53 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > 1. If it's okay for RH to put nonstandard kernels into Fedora, then
> > shouldn't it be okay for the community to put nonstandard kernels into
> > Fedora?  If not, why not?
>
> Well, it pretty much *has* to be as a subpackage from the main kernel
> package (eg, having everything built from the exact same source tree,
> just different config options).  Otherwise, things will inevitably lag
> for security issues and there's also a big problem of building kernel
> modules.

And I didn't really answer the question very well.

Arguably, it's probably *not* okay for Red Hat to do.  Unfortunately, at
this point, xen is probably "legacy grandfathered cruft".  And the only
thing that gives us any credibility in doing so is that we have someone
who makes sure things keep merging/working as their full-time job.  Even
then, it's often problematic

Jeremy