[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue May 9 16:09:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:58 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> I think Jeremy's fear about misattribution of bugs is a valid one.
>
> I have a dream, though.
>
> I have a dream of a desktop bugzilla client in Fedora.  When you find a
> bug, you fire up the prominently-placed client.  The client presents you
> with package names, and you select which package the bug was in.  The
> client will be smart enough to reconcile any questions about "which repo
> this package came from".
>
> Is this a crazy dream?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But it'd certainly require a
> visionary QA person to make it happen.  Right, Will?

Yes! I have this same dream! I really REALLY want to see tighter
integration between Fedora and our bug reporting/tracking stuff. I want:

1) A nice client (maybe built from bug-buddy) for people to quickly and
easily report bugs *without a bugzilla account*. This client would
gather pertinent system info (Fedora or Alternatives package? Weirdo
kernel?) and include it in the bug report.

2) Attached to bugzilla: a central, scoreboard-style web page with
up-to-the-minute info on hot issues, bug tracking, release notes, etc.
Basically, a site that will help answer the question: "WTF just
happened?". And I want links to this in our Firefox package, on the
desktop, etc.

Even better, I want these two things to be tied together:

I want the bug client to pull info about current hot issues, the most
frequently-reported bugs, etc. and present a list to the user. It will
ask: "Are any of these your bug?" If the user finds their bug in that
list, they click yes. We increment a 'vote' counter for that bug.

Goodbye duplicate bug reports! Hello semi-automatic bug triage!

Does this sound useful? Are Greg and I just crazy? Can we make this
stuff happen?

-w