[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 9 18:14:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:53:21PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 12:02 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > >
> > > 1) A nice client (maybe built from bug-buddy) for people to quickly and
> > > easily report bugs *without a bugzilla account*. This client would
> > > gather pertinent system info (Fedora or Alternatives package? Weirdo
> > > kernel?) and include it in the bug report.
> >
> > Could it do things like refuse to report bugs from machines that have
> > tainted kernels?  Or is that being too harsh in some peoples opinions?
>
> Too harsh. The problem might be completely unrelated to the modules.

Or it might be.  That's the point.  With binary modules, you can never
really tell.  But yes, it might be too harsh for the daily Fedora user.

At the very least, the lsmod output and taint status should be included
by the tool in such bug reports.  Gives the developers at least a hint
as to what their up against.

/me goes off to dream of other ways to eliminate binary modules

josh