[fab] Project Hosting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed May 10 14:23:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 10:35 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Ok, that's a fair point.  Bit of a bummer though, since I've found GForge
> to be one of the most usable interfaces.

Just a note for requirements.  If our solution is a roll-your-own and it
looks and acts like what we have today, we are missing a big
opportunity.

_Coding_ projects can get away with a stripped down system that is
mailman/public_html/SCM-of-choice.

All the other projects are losing the interest of people who have to
learn so many new things to do their task in Ambassadors, Marketing,
Design, Documentation, etc.

Also, having a large administrative overheard of a small group of highly
busy people as the gateway misses our ability to act as a distributed
community.  The Gforge-like tools let people administer membership in
their own projects, etc., without having to mess with system wide
settings.

This is the reason I encourage us to look at a full-featured system and
to think BIG with it.  It is _not_ for the purpose of attracting
contributors from those who already like what we have.  It is for
helping attract and keep contributors who want something with easier
entrance and maintenance.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/