[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed May 10 16:47:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 11:47 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Will Woods wrote:
> > 1) A nice client (maybe built from bug-buddy) for people to quickly and
> > easily report bugs *without a bugzilla account*. This client would
> > gather pertinent system info (Fedora or Alternatives package? Weirdo
> > kernel?) and include it in the bug report.

I should amend this - I don't want to fill bugzilla with anonymous,
auto-generated bug reports. Creating a new bug should probably still
require a login, or at the very least an email address.

I *do* want a very quick way for people to submit an extra data point
for known bugs. If someone encounters a bug, and they run Bug Hero (or
whatever this theoretical thing would be called) and find the problem in
the list of Current Hot Issues, submitting a "me too" comment with
pertinent system info/log messages should be a one-click thing.

> > 2) Attached to bugzilla: a central, scoreboard-style web page with
> > up-to-the-minute info on hot issues, bug tracking, release notes, etc.
> > Basically, a site that will help answer the question: "WTF just
> > happened?". And I want links to this in our Firefox package, on the
> > desktop, etc.
>
> Yep.  Think data collection and mining, not filing bugs.  Instead of
> having our overloaded developers traiging crash and bug reports, have
> them fixing things.

Absolutely - one big goal is to try to *reduce* the total number of bug
reports, by giving users a smart(ish) tool that help them find their
bug. This would hopfully lead to less dupes and more data for reported
bugs.

-w