[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 10 21:26:57 UTC 2006

> Josh Boyer (jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org) said:
> > > The cases that I see that it enables are:
> > >
> > > One Laptop per Child
> >
> > Side note:  Ok, not that OLPC isn't cool and shiny and exciting... but
> > is it really a good example to be using in regards to what Fedora needs
> > to adapt to?  I mean, without one of the OLPC machines... what benefit
> > does the OLPC have to Fedora itself?  To be honest, I almost see OLPC as
> > being it's own distro.  (One that I would personally love to play with
> > myself because it _does_ sound cool.)
>
> If the idea is that Fedora is this base that you can build Things On,
> yes. In this case, OLPC is sort of like RHEL. Or CentOS. Or Some Random
> Fedora Thing That Goes On Linksys Routers.

Sure.  But the section that you snipped was talking about focusing on a
better comps system that "knows about repos and replacing some packages
with packages from other repositories."

You don't replace Fedora packages with ones from RHEL or CentOS, or Some
Random Fedroa Thing That Goes On Linksys Routers.  Those become
completely different distros that base their packages off of Fedora.

josh