[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 10 21:34:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 17:23 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
> >> One Laptop per Child
> >
> > Side note:  Ok, not that OLPC isn't cool and shiny and exciting... but
> > is it really a good example to be using in regards to what Fedora needs
> > to adapt to?  I mean, without one of the OLPC machines... what benefit
> > does the OLPC have to Fedora itself?  To be honest, I almost see OLPC as
> > being it's own distro.  (One that I would personally love to play with
> > myself because it _does_ sound cool.)
>
> I see Fedora as a Canary.  Using Fedora as a base, with a very different
> focus, user base and design point.  It's closer to mythtv than it is to
> what the Fedora desktop is today.  But it's the first, and we want to
> enable more of this, not less.  Experiment, prototype, go forth and
> change.  And use Fedora as your base to do so.

Yes, use Fedora as a base.  Great.  Sign me up!  But seem my response to
Bill about the more specific question I was asking in regards to your
comment about the comps system, etc. :)

> But your question is valid.  What does OLPC give Fedora?  Hopefully
> quite a few side effects.  At some point we'll be attacking memory usage
> and suspend/resume stuff, and everyone will benefit from that.  We'll be
> breaking package dependencies where we can, experimenting with new ways
> to distribute, install and update software.  I'll bet a huge amount of
> that will be useful down the road.  There is a significant halo effect
> here - don't ignore it. :)

Oh, I'm well aware of some of the halo effects that OLPC could produce.
I come from the embedded world where fighting with space constraints and
memory consumption is a daily battle.  Why else would I think OLPC is so
cool? :)

josh