[fab] discussion topics for red hat ceo

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon May 15 19:20:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:

> Jesse Keating wrote:
>>
>> What about 'How does he feel about creating variant Fedora distributions
>> that use the Fedora name and logo (built from Fedora binary bits)?  And
>> further more, opensourcing the tools we use internally to create our
>> variant of Fedora?'
>>

> This is a valid question for not only the CEO but also for this board.
>
> In the next two weeks the Fedora Unity Project is planning on releasing its
> first respin for FC5 + Updates. One thing we would like to know as we move
> forward is can it still be called Fedora? Do we have to call it something
> else, and just hint as to what it is? Maybe I should bring this to the board
> first.

Mark is on this list.  We should be able to get his legal viewpoint quite
easily.

FC5 + Updates is all packages that live under the "Fedora" blessing.

I'd like for us to be able to use the official Fedora logo on it -- if we
call it Fedora Core 5, Update 1 or something else -- that naming is
something we can work on.

Effectively, aren't we giving an updated snapshot of FC5 -- the one that
people would get if the installed FC5 Gold and then ran yum update?  So
we're saving people time/bandwidth, and they get the same bits.  I want to
call that Fedora.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://people.redhat.com/mspevack/