[fab] Fedora Core Updates -- "respins"

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed May 17 14:42:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 14:05 -0500, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> At the Fedora Unity Project we have begun scripting the creation of
> updated ISO images for FC5, we are testing what we hope to be our first
> public release this week.

+1

> We have some questions related to what is acceptable naming, our current
> images are named the same as the original release with our project name
> and the date of the snapshot appended, for example the original is
> FC-5-i386-DVD.iso and our's reflects the may 12 snapshot date
> FC-5-i386-DVD-Unity-20060512.iso. It was our original goal to call these
> resulting images "Fedora Core Respins by Fedora Unity." Is this flying
> to close to the source?
>
> Second question comes to infrastructure, are there any hardware or
> bandwidth resources available to the community at large? Using our group
> as an example, we are a small group that is funding all of our
> adventures out of our own pockets. Hosting something like and updated
> ISO would break us and cripple our connections making bittorrent the
> only option.

Just in case we cannot arrange formal mirror space, I recommend that we
lean hard on Fedora contributors to share some of their own bandwidth.
I pledge at least 100 Kb of torrent upload (about a sixth of my upload
rate).

Then you an use your bandwidth to deliver the ISO via a secret URL
directly to the torrent hosts.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/