[fab] Pimping Fluendo for MP3 support

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed May 17 15:59:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > What if there were a big link on the default desktop that said "Do you
> > want MP3?"  And then the user clicks on a link, and the link tells a
> > story.
>
> Frankly, I don't think they'll read it.  Which is a shame, but I don't
> know how to change habits of users which have existed since the dawn of
> time.

We'll lose 100% of the users we don't try to convince.  If we want to
educate people, and maybe change their minds, then we need to fight for
it.

We say we want to be pure -- but 95% of the people who could be using
Fedora don't know or don't care about that purity.

> And I also don't think that cluttering the desktop is the way forward (I
> also expect that cluttering the desktop would be met with cries of anger
> and pitchforks from the maintainers of the desktop ;)

Yeah, you're probably right.  So maybe it's a default helper app; when you
try to play an MP3, it opens up a Firefox page telling the story and
pointing to Fluendo.

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg || Fedora Foundation || fedoraproject.org