NTFS (was Re: [fab] discussion topics for red hat ceo)

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon May 22 15:44:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > > It is (and has been) in the upstream kernel. We just don't build it.
> >
> > So, does the OIN argument apply to the upstream kernel. If so, whats
> > preventing Fedora from shipping ntfs?
>
> It's not as simple as "it's in OIN". For example, if libmad was in OIN
> (it's not) it would still be foolish to ship it...

Why is it not that simple?

If NTFS is already in the upstream kernel...

...and if the kernel is specifically covered by OIN...

...and if we're comfortable shipping other risky M$ technologies that are
specifically covered by OIN...

...then why are we not shipping NTFS in the Fedora kernel?

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a *very* simple question.

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg || Fedora Foundation || fedoraproject.org