[fab] fedora project board meeting 5/2

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon May 1 22:00:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 17:12 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, his job isn't just to do the testing, but to grow a
> > community of QA testers around the project.  It would make sense for
> > this community to handle some of the work of QA for the more community
> > driven sub projects, such as Legacy and Extras, but within a framework
> > developed by Will.
>
> Exactly right.
>
> Will needs to get his hands dirty so he knows the job inside and out --
> and then he needs to consult.

And, of course, the first step of getting your hands dirty with any open
source project is.. lurking for a bit! Having accomplished that, I guess
I'll introduce myself.

Hi! I'm Will, and I'm the new Fedora Test Lead. I've been a Professional
Linux Guy since 2000 or so. I worked at HP (Compaq at the time) in their
Alpha/Linux group. I helped on Alpha ports of Slackware (which never saw
the light of day) and Gentoo (which did), sent bug reports and patches
to various open source projects, and generally helped improve the state
of Linux on the Alpha.

In June of 2004 I joined Red Hat's QA group, and I have worked on
various internal testing efforts and watched the evolution of Red Hat's
QA infrastructure with much interest. In recent days I've been working
on the Hardware Certification test suites, but now I will be
transitioning away from that and back to the front lines of Linux
development and testing - the community. Hooray!

As Greg says, I need to get my hands a bit dirty before I start making
any real changes.  I'm going to be poking around, figuring out what test
efforts already exist, finding people who want to help, and so on.
Eventually (and with much discussion, I'm sure) we will probably have a
Great Grand Fedora Test Plan, but I have to figure out where we are
before we decide where we should be going.

Sound good? I hope so. I'm excited about it, anyway.

Feel free to email me with any questions, comments, suggestions, and
(especially) offers of free test hardware. *grin*

-w