[fab] Project Hosting

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Mon May 8 14:44:54 UTC 2006

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:01:11AM -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> I would consider that a roll-your-own.  But I agree that it's pretty
>>> powerful.
>>>
>>> Setting up git trees is really fairly trivial since push/pull/clone can
>>> be done via ssh.  I'm not sure about hg.
>>>
>> hg uses ssh for updating but you can pull anonymously over http.
>> Convenient that way.
>
> git can also pull over http, though it's frowned upon by anyone that uses it
> often.  It has it's own protocol git:// that doesn't seem to be too difficult
> to setup either.
>
> I'll stop pimping git now.  I don't want to turn this into a SCM flame-war :)

Yeah, it's also the wrong conversation to have at this point.  Need to
figure out 1. what you want to host and 2. what the social structures
might look like around that.  Those two items will drive your choice of
SCM and hosting technology.  i.e. Want something with centralized
development and avoid forks?  Use SVN/CVS.  Want something that allows
for local forks and encourages local (non-central) hacks?  Use GIT/hg.

--Chris